When I eat out I want it to be special, consequently I don?t eat out often. You could have seen the advice on how to shave calories at restaurant s but really, do you need to pay high restaurant charges for undressed salads and plain steamed vegetables? Or even, how then can you solve the dilemma of too many calories once you eat out?
Here are seven strategies for getting the calories out of restaurant meals while still ordering your favorites.
1. Say NO to super sizing. The size you ordered has already been too big. Stop super sizing and you?ll save money. Better still, order one dinner and ask for an extra plate. Many restaurants will do this for a dollar or two, and it?s well worth it. Then share the meal with your friend and you split the cost straight down the center. Another option is to order from the so called ?appetizer? menu. Two different people could order three entrees, one dessert and split the whole lot and it?s still a ton of food!
2. Miss the bread and rolls. Many family restaurants still serve a bread basket with your meal. Unless it?s a brand new baked loaf or some really special bread, just skip it. You don?t need to fill on ordinary bread once you?re paying good money for a meal. Just ask for it to be taken away when you can?t resist, but frankly, you?re an adult, you can resist, in order to. You can simply choose not to put a roll on your own plate. Try it, just once and see if you don?t walk out of this restaurant feeling strangely powerful.
If you can?t miss the rolls, at least skip the butter. That?s right. Eat it plain. Wholegrain bread is delicious simply by itself.
3. Stop Ordering Drinks. Carbonated drinks certainly are a huge cash cow for restaurants. For pennies they sell you a squirt of syrup and carbonated water and act like they?re doing you a big favor by only charging you $1.29 for a giant 64 ounce soda. Start saving those dollars. Especially if you?re ordering ?to go? skip the drink. If you?re eating it there, ask for water, or at least switch to diet drinks. Never drink ?fat pop.?
4. Slow Down You Eat Too Fast! What?s the rush? Invest some time, savor the moment, enjoy the flavors. A big section of phoning your hunger signals and understanding how to eat what really will satisfy is learning to recognize the subtle signs of hunger. You won?t know once you?re approaching satisfaction in the event that you?ve gobbled everything down in five minutes. Take a bite then notice how many times do you chew before you begin wanting to swallow? Once, twice? Try to chew your food as well as your body will be notably happier. A very large section of digestion begins in your mouth, not to mention you?ll get much more pleasure if you allow food linger.
5. Trim Visible Fat and Skin. I understand, you really love the skin?of course you do, it tastes good, it will, it?s pure fat. Do you wish to get leaner, or do you want to eat fat? You choose. I never eat chicken skin rather than eat the visible fat hanging off a steak, good taste or no. You will need to decide what you want more, the second?s worth of pleasure of a yummy taste, or a lifetime of carrying around a supplementary 40 lbs? I know that is counter to the low carb crowd?s belief that fat is good, carbs are evil, but I?ve maintained an 80 pound weight reduction for 18 years without dieting and I don?t eat visible fat or skin. Enough said.
6. Ask for a Doggie Bag at the start of Meal. Once the food is served, immediately portion off some to collect for tomorrow. Most restaurants in america serve way too much. There is no law you have to eat it all. Do that frequently and soon you?ll find you?re getting an extra lunch out of that meal.
7. Get a copy of Restaurant Confidential by Michael F. Jacobson and Jayne Hurley, and begin checking out just how many calories you?re really eating. If you eat out frequently and you carry extra weight, then that?s most likely the problem there. This little book may help you realize why it seems you don?t eat that much yet you can?t lose any weight. Hardees recently introduced a new burger that clocks in at only under 1200 calories simply by itself! Given that?s frightening.
If you really want to get a handle on your bodyweight problem, look first to where you take in, second at everything you eat, and third just how much you take in. Where, What and JUST HOW MUCH? Try these steps choosing one tip at the same time, and see how easily you can take some of the calories out of restaurant food.