When I eat out I’d like it to be special, consequently I don?t eat out often. You could have seen the advice on how exactly to shave calories at restaurants but really, are you wanting to pay high restaurant charges for undressed salads and plain steamed vegetables? Or even, how then is it possible to solve the dilemma of way too many calories when you eat out?
Here are seven strategies for getting the calories out of restaurant meals while still ordering your favorites.
1. Say NO to super sizing. The size you ordered has already been too large. Stop super sizing and you?ll save money. On top of that, order one dinner and ask for an extra plate. Many restaurants will do this for a dollar or two, also it?s really worth it. Then share the meal with your friend and you split the price straight down the center. Another option would be to order from the so called ?appetizer? menu. Two people could order three entrees, one dessert and split the whole thing and it?s still a huge amount of food!
2. Miss the bread and rolls. Many family restaurants still serve a bread basket with your meal. Unless it?s a brand new baked loaf or some really special bread, just skip it. You don?t have to fill up on ordinary bread when you?re paying good money for meals. Just ask for it to be taken away when you can?t resist, but in all honesty, you?re an adult, it is possible to resist, in order to. You can simply choose not to put a roll on your plate. Try it, just once and see in the event that you don?t walk out of that restaurant feeling strangely powerful.
If you can?t skip the rolls, at least skip the butter. That?s right. Eat it plain. Whole grain bread is delicious all by itself.
3. Stop Ordering Drinks. Soft drinks are a huge cash cow for restaurants. For pennies they sell you a squirt of syrup and carbonated water and act like they?re doing you a large favor by only charging you $1.29 for a giant 64 ounce soda. Start saving those dollars. Especially if you?re ordering ?to go? miss the drink. If you?re consuming it there, ask for water, or at least switch to diet drinks. Never drink ?fat pop.?
4. Slow Down YOU TAKE IN Too Fast! What?s the rush? Take your time, savor the moment, enjoy the flavors. A big part of getting in touch with your hunger signals and understanding how to eat what really will satisfy is understanding how to recognize the subtle signs of hunger. You won?t know when you?re approaching satisfaction if you?ve gobbled everything down in 5 minutes. Have a bite then notice how many times do you chew before you begin wanting to swallow? Once, twice? Try to chew your food and your body will be much happier. A very large part of digestion begins in the mouth area, not to mention you?ll get a lot more pleasure if you allow food linger.
5. Trim Visible Fat and Skin. I know, you really love your skin?needless to say you do, it tastes good, it will, it?s pure fat. Do you wish to get leaner, or do you want to eat fat? You select. I never eat chicken skin rather than eat the visible fat hanging off a steak, good taste or no. You must decide what you would like more, the second?s worth of pleasure of a yummy taste, or a lifetime of carrying around an extra 40 lbs? I know this is counter to the reduced carb crowd?s belief that fat is good, carbs are evil, but I?ve maintained an 80 pound weight reduction for 18 years without dieting and I don?t eat visible fat or skin. Enough said.
6. Require a Doggie Bag at the start of Meal. Once the food is served, immediately portion off some to collect for tomorrow. Most restaurants in the US serve way too much. There is absolutely no law you will need to eat it all. Do this frequently and soon you?ll find you?re getting an extra lunch out of this meal.
7. Get yourself a copy of Restaurant Confidential by Michael F. Jacobson and Jayne Hurley, and start checking out just how many calories you?re really eating. In the event that you eat out frequently and you also carry extra weight, then that?s probably the problem right there. This little book will help you realize why it seems you don?t eat that much yet it is possible to?t lose any weight. viennoiserie introduced a fresh burger that clocks in at only under 1200 calories all by itself! Now that?s frightening.
If you really want to get a handle on your bodyweight problem, look first to where you eat, second at what you eat, and third how much you eat. Where, What and How Much? Try these steps choosing one tip at a time, and see how easily you can take a few of the calories out of restaurant food.